Jayne Sharp almost lost her arm after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria at a nail salon, according to Danielle Wallace of American television news channel Fox News. The Tennessee woman informs Knoxville’s television channel WBIR-TV that she has “undergone several surgeries to remove large chunks of tissue in one of her hands that was destroyed due to the infection,” as quoted by Shannon Smith. Sharp claims the symptoms manifested after she was “cut on her right thumb while getting a manicure” at Knoxville’s Jazzy Nail Bar.
“While I was there I got stuck on my thumb and I went 'ouch' but I went back to looking at my telephone,” Sharp narrates. Then, her thumb throbbed and fell so ill to the point she could not sleep at night. The following day, Sharp went to Summit Medical Group to have herself checked for the flu. The flu test came back negative and nurse practitioner Nikki Brown marked Sharp’s thumb “that showed an unusual amount of swelling.” She was told to go to the emergency room the day, as the swelling already reached her right arm.
|Photo Credit: WBIR (via Unilad)|
Internal medicine specialist with Summit Medical Group Dr. Udit Chaudhuri notes, “She could have lost her finger or her arm if she hadn't been diagnosed properly.” The flesh-eating disease is medically known as necrotizing fasciitis. Dr. Chaudhuri explains, “This bacteria gets introduced under the skin into the soft tissue and then into the blood stream.” People with compromised immune systems are more vulnerable to contract necrotizing fasciitis.
|Photo Credit: AP Photo/UTMB-Galveston, Ashok K. Chopra, Ph.D., and Dr. Leon Bromberg (via Fox News)|
Sharp is more susceptible to the disease, as she is diabetic, as stated by Dr. Chaudhuri. A manager at Jazzy Nail Bar informs WBIR-TV that the salon passed a state inspection several days after Sharp contracted the flesh-eating bacteria. He states that Jazzy Nail Bar cleans its tools per state-mandated regulations. Fortunately, Sharp is “beginning to regain feeling in her right hand after surgeries,” although she still struggles to floss her teeth. She adds, "My life took a total turn when this happened to me."