Venomous Spider Makes Its Home in a Woman’s Ear

Breaking News

Venomous Spider Makes Its Home in a Woman’s Ear

The venomous brown recluse spiders are native to the US South and Midwest. They earned their name for their tendency to hide in out-of-the-way areas or hard-to-reach corners. Sometimes, that could be someone’s ear.

This was what Susie Torres from Kansas City, Missouri found out the hard way after the eight-legged creature made itself at home in her ear. She learned about her “boarder” after seeing a doctor due to the "swishing sound" she could hear and couldn't get rid of. 

HuffPost, an American news and opinion website, reported that it all started when Torres felt some discomfort in her ear one morning. “I woke up Tuesday hearing a bunch of swooshing and water in my left ear. It was like when you went swimming and you have all of that water in your ear,” she said in an interview. The medical assistant of the doctor was the first to discover the thing that's bothering her ear. 

 

A venomous spider crawled into the ear of a woman in Kansas City, Missouri while she was sleeping / Screengrabbed via HuffPost.com

 

"She ran out and said, 'I'm going to get a couple more people,'" Torres added. "She then said, 'I think you have an insect in there.'"

Torres admitted that she is particularly terrified of those creatures. The medical professional stated that the spider probably crawled into her ear while she was sleeping. Fortunately, the insect never bit her, which can really be dangerous. According to the Centers for Disease Control, a bite of a brown recluse spider can cause stinging pain and severe lesions that require medical attention. 

 

The spider that was found on the woman's ear turned out to be a brown recluse / Screengrabbed via HuffPost.com

 

This is why Torres isn't taking any more chances after her ordeal with the spider. “I went and put some cotton balls in my ears last night. I’m shaking off my clothes, and I don’t put my purse on the floor. I’m a little more cautious,” she said.

LiveScience, a science news website, reported that the brown recluse spider is one of the world's most poisonous arachnids. Although its bite isn't fatal, it can cause severe tissue damage because its venom contains a toxin that kills the skin. In some cases, this spider can leave an open wound as large as a human hand. According to the National Institutes of Health, a person bitten by this spider should rush to the emergency room immediately. 

TAGS

SIMIALR POST